Free Science Inc. is a nonprofit organization based in Ithaca, NY that provides a supportive, community-based space for low-income and under-represented youth to explore their world, and expand their capabilities, through science and creativity.
FREE SCIENCE WORKSHOP
We offer free afterschool drop-in hours at the Free Science Workshop, located at 210 Hancock St., in Ithaca NY.
The Free Science Workshop is a free-choice environment where youth can walk in and direct their own education. They can pursue what interests them most from a wide range of opportunities, including:
- Designing and building their own projects
- Tinkering with electronics
- Investigating the science in everyday life
- Observing and caring for animals and plants
Participants are excited that they “get to do what I want!” experiencing agency and empowerment that is affirming and incredibly important for youth development.
Free Science follows a successful model of Community Science Workshops started over 25 years ago in San Francisco with sister sites around California.
What is special about the Free Science Workshop?
- Motivated first and foremost by equity of access to learning opportunities
- No fee to attend and no paperwork required
- Conveniently located near low-income housing to improve accessibility
- Open door, open-ended, with both mentoring and free choice activities
- Workshop space filled with participant-created projects
- Makes clever use of commonly available, low-cost, and re-used materials
- Parent/guardian supervision is not required
Free Science Workshop is made possible with generous support from foundations and community members. We welcome financial contributions, material donations of supplies, and new volunteers to work one-on-one with youth participants, develop science materials, and contribute behind the scenes. Get involved today!
For more information contact Liv Vincent at email@example.com or 607.288.2826
Make a gift today to help us provide much needed science programming to low-income and underserved minority youth.
Free Science Inc is a 501(c)(3) non-profit. Your contribution is tax deductible to the extent allowed by law.